This works for me (GIMP 2.8.4):
Menu windows -> dockable dialogs -> colors; select a yellow foreground color
File -> new; choose correct x-y values; Advanced options: Fill with ->
foreground color

Fuzzy select color tool; left click on the background to select it
Bucket fill tool; in the tool options: check fill with foreground color;
check fill whole selection