This works for me (GIMP 2.8.4):
Menu windows -> dockable dialogs -> colors; select a yellow foreground color
File -> new; choose correct x-y values; Advanced options: Fill with ->
foreground color

OR:
Fuzzy select color tool; left click on the background to select it
Bucket fill tool; in the tool options: check fill with foreground color;
check fill whole selection
Left-lick

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Gary Montalbine <gmontalb...@cox.net> wrote:

> I have an oval photo here:
>
> http://knottsislandonline.com/**kiscrapbook/miller.html<http://knottsislandonline.com/kiscrapbook/miller.html>
>
> I am trying to get the white background changed to yellow to match the web
> page. I have followed the instructions in the GIMP manual for bucket fill,
> Foreground Select Tool, edit>fill with fg or bg color. Nothing works. The
> only color I can get is black when the fg/bg option is black. In the
> toolbox I have changed both fg and bg to yellow. Still no change. I would
> like to change a new canvas to the yellow bg color and then copy and paste
> my image onto it. How can I do this?
> Thanks, Gary

(@_
/ /\      Maurizio Loreti: fisico in pensione, nonno felice di
V_/_    2 nipotini, vagabondo e fotografo a tempo perso...