i've encountered similar problem in GIMP 2.6 while saving however i
cannot replicate it.
In my case it was probably something depending on GTK/Xorg.
If You're able to replicate this behavior try to
1) open terminal
2) run GIMP in this terminal
3) Replicate this behaviour
4) Look at the error messages in the terminal.
This error messages might give some information what exactly is failing

2013/7/7, minhsien0330 <minhsien0...@gmail.com>:
> Dear all:
> In Gimp 2.4.7,when I am typing new filename for a image, gimp will pop out
> some filename suggestion for me,this behavior will block my work when I
> using tablet pen.
>
> I want to remove this feature of gimp 2.4.7 from source code and recompile
> it.
>
> Would anybody tell me where and what to remove in source code or give me a
> patch?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
> Minhsien0330