I did not patch GIMP at all, I used Debian Wheezy armeabihf package.

The magic is inside those scripts - there are several LD_PRELOAD-ed
libraries, which emulate Linux OS calls missing on Android, it's an
'emulation' similar to Wine.
And XServer is an X11 implementation, it's the most important and most
user-facing part of the package.

The one thing I would like to see in GIMP in future is ability to scale
toolbox buttons with DPI. All text labels scale up nicely on small screen
thanks to XServer, but buttons stay the same size in pixels, so you need to
lower display resolution to make them bigger.