Hi,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM, A. Huntley <alan.hunt...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I'm new to GIMP and trying to setup the interface the way I'd prefer; don't
> like the rather bright white color of the image window, toolbox and dialog
> panels when the program first opens up. I tried searching the archives to
> find an answer to my question without any success. Therefore...
>
> After looking through various preference options, I finally found how to
> change the padding color for the image window, however, I cannot see if it's
> possible to change the toolbox panel (left side) and dialog panels (right
> side) to something other than white. Since my image window (padding) is now
> set to a very dark gray, I'd like to set the toolbox/dialog panels to
> something like a medium gray. Is this possible? How?

Yes this is possible. You need to find a theme, other than the current
default themes, with dark colors. You can search on the web for dark
themes for GIMP. Unfortunately you may have more or less luck in such
a search, as sometimes user-made themes may be broken or incomplete.
So you may have to try and test a few before finding the right one.
Some users on the list may be able to direct you to their favorite dark theme.

Jehan

P.S.: in some future major version, GIMP would be released with
additional default themes, in particular with dark theme options.
Unfortunately current release has no such default dark theme yet.