Hello Neil,

I'm not sure that Gimp is the right tool, if you want some thing lighter
then ImageMagic. I would try VIPS [1], its optimized for speed and low
memory use [2]. Wikipedia changed form ImageMagic to VIPS last year. [3]

Regards
Tobias

[1] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=VIPS
[2] http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Speed_and_Memory_Use