> Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:49:13 -0600
> From: joe.n...@hotmail.com
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Image portion select and drag.
> When one single image is open, how do I:
> 1. Select one small portion of the image and drag it? I tried using the
> select tool and can't make it work.

You need to 'float' the selection (e.g. detach it from the source layer) before
you attempt to drag it around, otherwise, clicking and dragging will only move
the selection 'mask', not the selected contents.  To float a selection you use
the "Float" command from the Select menu, or I believe the keyboard shortcut is
Ctrl+Alt+drag (the statusbar will change to read "click and drag to move
selected pixels" when you get the modifiers right).

> 2. Negative or reverse color polarity. Ie: reverse color profile.  White to
> black. Black to white for example.

In the Colors (or was it Layer?) menu.  There is actually more than one way to
reverse 'color polarity', but it depends on what colorspace/model is being
used; the standard Invert command uses the default RGB space.

> 3. Flip or mirror an image so that I can surround a center image with 2
> mirror images of a second graphic on each side?

Under Image > Transform.  (If you image contains multiple layers, use the Layer
> Transform menu instead to adjust a single layer at a time.)

> 4. Paste into one image a 2nd imahe and manipulate them.
Some programs you have to flatten the images into 1 image and then
proceed to select a small portion of the greater image to drag, resize,
etc to position next to the other image.

Mind your terminology.  Under the Edit menu you can say "Paste As > New Image"
but then you wind up with two completely separate image windows with zero
interaction between them; you're probably asking about "paste as layer" (also
available in the Edit menu).  Alternately, when layer positioning is important
you can do a regular paste, and while the selection is still floating go to the
Layer menu and select "To New Layer" which will unfloat the selection and make
it a new layer on top of the old one.

-- Stratadrake

List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org