Thanks for the reply.

I have made the plugin executable.  After GIMP restart, I can't find it in
Plugin Browser. If I search for "golden" all I find is the Golden Rule
Guide that I also installed and it is showing up in GIMP and working
properly.  I don't see the golden spiral at all by searching in the plugin

That does lead to a different question, though.  Should this be in the
scripts folder or the plugins folder?