>This looks to me like the normal anti-aliasing that you get by
>default,
>although it's a bit difficult to tell because the Calibri font is not
>on my fbsd system.  It you want a sharp transition from black to
>white,
>deselect the anti-aliasing box in the font tool.
>
>What exactly do you mean by pixelated?
>All text will appear pixelated if enlarged, which this image has been.
>What are you expecting it to look like?
>
>The font box above the text indicates a size of 100 pts,
>which that text clearly is not -- assuming the rulers are set in
>inches.
>The font tool on the left says 18 pt, which it appears to match
>better.
>
>Can you post an image made with the "Sans" font, and post the image
>itself,
>not a screen shot?
>
>The one thing which looks strange to me is that letters such as 'i',
>which
>in some fonts such as "Sans" has solely vertical and horizontal lines,
>appears anti-aliased.  Since I don't have the Calibri font I'm not
>sure what
>it *should* look like.  In the "Sans" font an "i" has sharp
>transitions from
>black to white, even with anti-aliasing on.
>
>Exporting to jpeg will never improve pixelation issues.  In general,
>converting to jpeg will soften transitions.
>
>Gary

Thanks Gary.  Sorry for the layover on getting back on this.  After checking the
things you suggested, I'm thinking my problem might be in how
viewing/measurements is set up.  A 640x400 workspace, set to view at 100% is
taking up almost the whole screen.  And it's showing a 12 pt font to be
enormous.  I'll dig into those settings later today and report back if I find
anything that might be an east solution.  Thanks again.

--
Lougha (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)