Hello,

I am attempting to remove the backgrounds of some scanned grayscale jpg images,
using the free select tool to rough outline the selection, and adjusting the
selection for fine details using the quick mask mode (see attached screenshot).
This requires switching to RGB mode. After refining the selection, I switch off
Quick Mask mode, invert the selection, and then clear the background. After
clearing, I end up with patches of opaque color where I drew over the image to
alter the selection. Not sure what I could be doing wrong. Can someone please
help me with this?

Sent from [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.ch), encrypted email based in
Switzerland.