Hi -
I have an ancient script to do jsut that - with nice options to set-up
spacing between each image.

I've just updated it to work with GIMP 2.8/2.9 -- The source code is at:

https://bitbucket.org/jsbueno/gimp_scripts/raw/b277bb822073f6444fe4336aaf9c2c951044bbac/contact.py

Paste that file as is(*) in your GIMP's plug-in directory. if you are
on Mac or Linux, mark it as executable
Upon GIMP restart, it should show up as "File->Create->Contact Sheet".

(*) If you have no notion of how to deal with program files, and are
on Windows follow these steps - roughly:
-Copy all the text on that link with ctrl + a, ctrl + c;
- open Windows' notepad (NOT word, libreoffice, wordpad) - or install
"notepadplusplus" if notepad does not exist/does not work anymore.
- paste the file contents there
- save it as "contacts.py" on your GIMP plug-in folder (you can see
its location in GIMP under "edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins"

  js
 -><-