You can export the file to a lossy file format such as JPG (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG).  GIMP has an option to "Show preview
in image window", which will also give you an estimate of the file size
from the parameters.  You can modify the "Quality" slider until you reach a
desired file size.  Does this help with what you wanted to achieve?