Ofnuts writes:
> On 11/07/15 00:17, Steve Kinney wrote:
> >Depending on the image content, GIF files may be noticeably larger
> >or smaller than equivalent JPG files.  PNG files will usually be
> >substantially larger than either.
> For screenshots(*) and lost CGI, PNG is usually significantly smaller than
> either GIF or JPEG. And you cannot reduce the quality too much on JPEGs for
> images with hard edges such as screenshots.
> (*) unless of course the screenshot contains a photo...

I recommend everyone test this out for themselves. I find my
screenshots are usually much larger in PNG, but it depends on what
sorts of windows you shoot. In my case it's usually browser or GIMP

Of course, if you need to edit the screenshot before passing it on
(e.g. adding arrows or annotations) then PNG is better since it's

gimp-user-list mailing list