Can't really help with Yosemite—appropriately named after than varmint,
Yosemite Sam. The simplest solution: can you get a copy of OS 10.6.8 (Snow
Leopard) and install that? You'll have to reformat a partition to do this, then
you can boot to either OS version. I do all my work in 10.6.8, only using The
Varmint partition when I need secure connections to the outside world.

I hope someone else has a better solution, but I know this one will work, even
if it is a PITN/A/H/everywhere else to implement, as I know from experience.