On 9 December 2015 at 15:45, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 7:59 AM, mojolee wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to remove this dialog box?
>
> No. At least, not yet.

Err..actually GIMP 2.8 does have an "Use Editor" checkbox on the
text-tool tool-options that does exactly that.

>> I don't know why the designers decided to include this
>
> It's helpful and removes the need to go to the sidebar all the time.
> Everything happens on the canvas.

The new on-canvas controls allows one to change style
of part of the text - like, coloring some letters differently,
or changing font. The old way would only allow a single style
for each text layer.