GIMP 2.8.14 Windows 7 64

In Preferences -> Color Management I've selected "Mode of operation" =
"Color managed display"

There's a checkbox: "Try to use the system monitor profile" that I'm
unclear about.

I've calibrated/profiled my display with ColorMunki hardware. My
understanding (wrong?) is that ColorMunki installed an appropriate
profile for my display on the system, and that all output from ANY
application to the display goes through an OS driver that uses that
profile. If that is so, my assumption is that GIMP will "use" the
correct display profile implicitly, without needing to be told to do so.

I do not understand whether checking "Try to use the system monitor
profile" is unnecessary, redundant, or even harmful.

-Mike