If you double click on the brush, you'll also get a dialog box with some setting for that tool. The easiest thing I've found lately about changing brush size is to simply put the cursor on the canvas to see what size it is, then I just hit the left bracket [ key to make it smaller and the right bracket ] key to make it larger, and I can see the size as it changes. It will remain that size if I change tools, like to the clone tool. Don't know anything about the drop downs, sorry.