In 2.8.16 it looks like this (attached)

Rick

-----Original Message----- From: drsfunderw...@wave-net.net
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:32 AM
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Where is the Gimp Text Editor located

I am a novice at GIMP and getting more frustrated at every turn. I am doing
a simple map. Outline, rivers, a few geographic features and some towns. I
want to add text. I think I'm hitting the text icon under Toolbox (A T next
to an A) but when I hit the function I do not get GIMP TEXT EDITOR. I
simply gives me a box that I can type into but will not let me
center/copy/past on the map. What am I missing where do I find the GIMP
TEXT EDITOR box as shown in the tutorial?