According to The Book of GIMP by Olivier Lecarme and Karine Delvare, you need a
plugin called “XSane” for GIMP to communicate with the scanner. I thoroughly
recommend this book to any beginner with GIMP.

I haven’t tried using my Canon scanner directly into GIMP. Usually I just use
the scanner software, then open the file in GIMP. But if they recommend that
plugin, that’s what I’d use if I were going to do so.

It’s never a bad idea to repair permissions and restart after installing new
hardware or software, especially drivers. Sometimes it takes more than once for
the system to “find all its paws.” =^}

Also, you didn’t state what year your Macbook Pro was. If it’s an older one,
like mine, you will benefit greatly by upgrading to an OWC (OtherWorld
Computing) SSD and installing newer (faster) RAM. Don’t buy any other brand
except Apple. According to my local Apple Certified Tech, he’s had nothing but
trouble with Samsung and a few other brands. OWC is made to Apple specs and has
a better warranty. The RAM warranty is lifetime. I had no end of problems until
I did this, both hardware and software. Now I have none.