On 06/04/2016 04:42 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 15:43:33 -0400, Steve Kinney wrote:
>> Damn.  A window manager shortcut was interfering with the GIMP on my
>> system a while back, it took me about three minutes to set that right,
>> because Linux.
> If you had the same problem as Dale, Linux wouldn't help you - some laptops
> "helpfully" reassign the F-keys to multimedia keys at hardware level, and
> require you to press Fn+F-key to get the actual F-key. Usually this can be
> disabled in BIOS setup, but I've seen one laptop where you had to update
> the BIOS first before the option became available (and even then it was
> named in such way that it way easy to overlook it).

Or maybe not.  A context sensitive F-key command that opens the help
menu for the window manager's currently focused application belongs to
the window manager, not system firmware.  Firmware would have no way of
knowing what application is currently focused, thus, no way of knowing
which help menu to open.  When the problem is "It opens the Help menu
and I can't find where to change that," the problem pretty much has to
be the window manager.

gimp-user-list mailing list