You point out a problem I may have: I resized the entire image (it’s a fantasy
map) so i could extend the territory it covers. I thought I had resized the
problematic layers to the size of the image, but maybe not. I’ll check, and
your work around is elegant. Most of the layers in the image are transparent to
one degree or another, and there are numerous small layers (city and other
feature icons and their labels) that have to be moveable until their location
is finalized (this is a map for a series of novels, still being written.) I may
need to change the location or orientation of any of these depending on the
demands of the story. Even the terrain has to be mutable to some extent. Once
things are reasonably finalized I can simply merge the layers. Until then, I
need to use your solution, or put registration marks in—maybe both!

Why this bug, or desperately necessary feature (And I think it can be
considered as such—why on earth would you not want the ability to fix a layer
in place?) has not been addressed is beyond me. Admittedly, a little chaos, now
and then, is a good thing. It inspires creativity. However … ;^}

I remember there is some place to request new features. Must find and post in
the most stridently polite terms.

Thanks for your help! I have only a beard to tear out, and that is both more
difficult and painful than the scalp.