Hi Stratadrake,
I am very sad to hear that GIMP on Mac doesn't support direct scanning. I was
very got used to this feature on Windows.
In the User Manual of GIMP I can read that in the File directory one can find
the Create -- > from Scanner button if there is an Image Capture device
installed.

But now coming back to your questions:

-I tested the scanner feature on two scanners:
-Samsung m2017 which is the scanner/printer
http://www.samsung.com/de/business/support/model/SL-M2070FW/XEC
-Canon Lide 210, which is the dedicated scanner
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/scanners/photo-scanner/canoscan-lide-210

In both cases I installed the newest version of the drivers and I can use the
both scanners using Samsung/Canon tools, or Mac tools like Image Capture or
printer/scanner from the settings-->printer/scanner.
Both producers claim the drivers are TWAIN compatible.

Maybe the community could develop this feature for MAC?

Thank you and best regards

Zig

I was about to download the sane libraries to tackle the problem but then I saw
that SANE doesn't support my backends.