On 20/10/16 19:30, lofreq wrote:
So my two questions are as follows, I guess:

1. Is it at all possible to just click and drag selections? Why is it necessary
to hold down ctrl+alt to accomplish this?

Because click without key modifiers has other uses. Maybe you shouldn't be using selections on a bigger layer, and instead be using a text layer for each piece of text.
2. Is the masking behavior of floating layers a bug or a feature? Either or, it
needs fixing. Or at the very least a toggle, because I can't imagine a single
instance where that would be preferable to just using an actual mask.

What you want is Layer>Layer to image size.