>I've got some 300 fonts, 200 of which are from Windows/Office (I
>guess) and some 100 from another software package I use. Is that a
>lot?
>Do you mean waiting before booting gimp at all, or giving gimp more
>time to complete the startup? The latter doesn't work, as it just
>crashes out of the boot sequence.

The customary advice when running Gimp for the first time is

Do not touch the mouse or keyboard, go have a cup of coffee or go for a walk
until Gimp loads.

If you have a Gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8 it might be worth
deleting that and let Gimp create a new one.

If it is a bad font then starting Gimp with the -f (no fonts switch) might prove
that.

In a command terminal "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" -f

Note the quotes because of the dumb file name spaces. see screenshot

A bad font can be difficult to trace.

rich : www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/323/original/cmd-gimp.jpg