Kevin,

I took a close look at the file, and the drop shadow has a 4 pixel wide cutout
in it. A bit non-standard. I was able to recreate the appearance of the
original text/drop shadow with the following workflow:

Make a copy of the file. Work with the copy.

1. Select your text layer, edit text to say “THEARTIST” (this is the step I
can’t easily do without knowing what the font is)
2. Filters menu, Light and Shadow >, Drop Shadow…       (creates a new,
editable Drop Shadow layer)
        Offset x = 8
        Offset y = 8
        Blur radius = 15
        Color = Black
        Opacity = 60
Note: I zoomed way in to determine that the blank area in the drop shadow is 4
pixels, so:
2a. Make sure the text layer is still selected.
3. Choose the Fuzzy Select (magic wand) tool
        Hold Shift and click on each letter in turn until all are selected
4. Select menu, Grow, Grow selection by: 2 px
5. Move tool
        Click in selected area
        alt (or option) right arrow twice (should move selection two pixels to
the right
        alt (or option) down arrow twice (should move selection two pixels down
6. Select new drop shadow layer
7. Edit menu, Cut (or CTRL (or command) x)
8. Select menu, None
9. Turn off old Drop Shadow layer

That should do it.

I’m working on an iMac with GIMP 2.8.20

Rick K

It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend