Hi,
I head the same problem on my Surface Book (3200 x 2000).
Following these steps helped me:

From: https://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Tell windows to prefer an external manifest file

As always, make sure you backup your registry (in regedit, go on file > export >
select all > and save the backupfile) and tread lightly in this area. We are
just going to add one line.

1. Press  Windows Button + R, type “regedit”, and then click OK.
2. Navigate to the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion
> SideBySide
3. Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value
4. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
6. Enter Value Data 1 and select Decimal.
7. Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

If on your windows the name extensions are not displayed do following steps (for
windows 10):

1. In the Explorer click on View
2. Select the checkbox for "Fileextensions"

Then use the attached file or create by yourself: Therefor create a Textfile in
the Folder where gimp is installed, named: gimp-2.8.exe.manifest. (Maybe you
need Administrator rights, so create the File on your desktop and copy it to the
folder after it)

Put following text into that file and save it.

-----------------------

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"
xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
      version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="*"
      publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
      language="*">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<dependency>
  <dependentAssembly>
    <assemblyIdentity
      type="win32"
      name="Microsoft.VC90.CRT"
      version="9.0.21022.8"
      processorArchitecture="amd64"
      publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b">
    </assemblyIdentity>
  </dependentAssembly>
</dependency>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel
        level="asInvoker"
        uiAccess="false"/>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
<asmv3:windowsSettings
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings";>
<ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware
xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings";>false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>
-----------------------

Now you should be able to start Gimp with normal scaling.

Hope it helps,

Aamer.

>Hi,
>
>I have just dowloaded Gimp 2.8.16 and installed it on my Windows 10 -
>64 bit PC. However, the user interface with all the icons and texts
>are too small for me and it is very hard to read what is on the
>screen. My monitor size is 3440 X 1440. Of course I can change the
>size of everything on the screen by using the Display settings in
>Windows 10 and set the slider to, say, 150%. But then ALL applications
>and windows on the screen get bigger, even if I do not want them to.
>
>Is there a way to customize the size of textlabels, toobars, icons etc
>in the user interface of GIMP?
>
>Thanks!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/631/original/gimp-2.8.exe.manifest