>Thanks for your reply and advice.
>Maybe it's a personal preference but the guy who was replying to my
>thread at fsdeveloper.com suggested that I export the BLEND mask
>(layer where everything the user doesn't want to show painted with a
>25% BLACK brush so the edges are a greyscale and blend nicely) as a
>8bt 256 grayscale TIFF image and the water mask which is painted with
>a 100% BLACK brush as a 1 bit 2 color (black and white) TIFF.
>I guess they both can be as small as possible although he also reckons
>the 'compile file' (which uses the original satellite image and the
>water and blend mask image files) ends up smaller too. Once again just
>a preference of his to have all files as small as possible.
>I have in the past exported the mask/layer as a 24 bit BMP file and it
>all worked ok. Of course the BMP files are much larger.

Well, heed your experts advice.

A couple of points, that you might already know.

The 'paint tools' have their own opacity setting. No need for a 25% brush.

The Paint Tool introduces anti-aliasing at the edge. For the 1 bit indexed image
the anti-aliasing is 'lost'. Otherwise for 'hard' edges use the pencil tool.

Exporting as a tiff is not a problem, Use Mode -> Greyscale for 8 bit and

remove any alpha channel, then Mode -> Indexed -> black and white (1 bit) for
that mask.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/697/original/tools.jpg