Good morning all,  The image I was working on was created by Nikon's ViewNX2
editor, the original image format was Nikon's raw image .NEF extension, I
exported this as a TIFF and then imported it to GIMP.

In ViewNX2 the images are stored with a preview thumbnail, so I think you have
hit the nail on the head, I got myself confused at first because I didn't notice
the thumbnail in the image  before  I used the channel mixer. The image is an
infrared photo, it's mostly sky and the thumbnail didn't stand enough for me to
notice it. It's also so tiny that it can't be seen in the image layer page 1.
After swapping The red and blue channels (not green, another mistake) the
colours changed enough for the thumbnail to be obvious. I wrongly assumed that
the channel mixer had created the thumbnail, in fact it was there all the time.

Now I understand the problem I think I'll be OK, for a while anyway.

I bought Klaus Goelker's book "GIMP 2.8 for photographers" last week, I'm
working my way through it and thought I was doing OK, but I got myself too
confused to sort this one.

Before installing GIMP I read a review which said that GIMP was a very good
program, but the learning curve was steep. I  think they were right on both
points.

Thankyou for your assistance, I know what I'm going to be doing during the long
winter nights.

--
Oxonian (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)