hi wicky,
i've had the same problem before. for me it is a font problem. i use a mac
and use true type, open type and mac type1 fonts. when i install the type1
fonts, gimp breaks, if i place them in another directory and link to gimp
in preferences>folders>fonts, the problem disappears. so you could have
some fonts that are creating the problem.

hth,
dwain