On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 23:09:13 Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (2001-03-23 at 2251.37 +0000):
> > Unless you ran gimp as root there is nothing it can do that would harm
> your
> > system. (With the possible exception that it could get stuck in a loop
> and
> > spew out error messages untill you run out of disk space).
>
> It can also capture the pointer and "hang" the system (it is not hung,
> just becomes "hostage"). Or trigger a bug somewhere else (window
> manager, X or kernel). Netscape is famous for this.

I meant permenent harm to the system i.e something not cured by rebooting.
If X gets looked up you can kill it with ctrl-alt-backspace (or if it just
an application that has crashed you can kill it by typing "killall -KILL
theNameOfTheApp", pressing the reset button should only be used as a last
resort (i.e keyboard has locked up and you have no way of fixing the
problem remotley) as this could (but you'd have to be pretty unlucky for it
to) cause permenant damage to the system (and lose data).

rob