Can RGB values exceed 255 per color plane?  I'm wondering because I
would like to do some manipulation on images and then save the color
planes back out as FITS (which can be up to 32-bits per plane).

I'll be poking around with this in the next week, but if someone knows
off-hand it may prevent me from attempting the impossible.

                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          Forest Hills, NY 11375