I've played around with various options, and did check grokking the gimp,
but I've got to get this thing finished ASAP.

I need to posterize the following pic. Is there an obvious filter or
something that I'm missing?  This is a freebee job for the local high
school production of Grease, and I'll be having a couple students help
with the painting, so need it much simplified for a "paint by number"
layout they can easily follow. Sure would help if I didn't have to define
the areas manually.

I'm not asking anyone to do this for me - even pointing me directly to
the best tutorial will do the trick. Thanks.