Oskar Parmhed wrote:

> Please help!!!!!
>
> I've just been putting some 6 or so hours into getting the GIMP installed.

Oh my.

> When trying to load a postscript file (I know that it is
> ok) I get "Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps." in the terminal
> window where I started gimp, and a dialog just tells me that it couldn't
> load the image.

Gimp does not interpret PostScript, for that it uses the GhostScript interpreter.
This is a open source program, currently its home page is

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Likely you don't have GhostScript installed correctly on your machine.
It was able to start, but it was unable to run its initialization PostScript
file (gs_init.ps). The error message you got is just the one that the interpreter
spits out when it can't find/read its initialization file.

It couldn't find it.

Or the user process it was running under doesn't have permission to
read  it.

On a Red Hat Linux 7.0 distribution, it lives in a directory like this:

/usr/share/ghostscript/<maj>.<min>/gs_init.ps

where <maj>.<min> is a version number like "5.5"
your installation may vary.

I think you'll probably have to talk to the sys admin of that machine
and ask her/him about how GhostScript is installed. If she wants to
know the details of how Gimp launches GhostScript, have her look
through plug-ins/common/ps.c

Hope this is some help.

Be good, be well

Garry