Thus spoke Jim Clark
> I have a white background with black text.  I do not have the exact same
> font, but I want to change the text to blue.  If I select by color and
> remove the white and paint with blue, it loses all the dithering and
> makes nice big splotchy letters.  Can this be done so the leeters look
> as they did when black execpt blue?

Other answers were provided, but I think you can do this more simply as

1. Choose the Bucket Tool.
2. Open it's options dialog.
3. Choose "Screen" for the blend mode.
4. Select All in the layer.
5. Click in the Canvas window.

The text should now be blue, with anti-aliasing preserved.

Michael J. Hammel           | Women serve but to keep a man from better company.
The Graphics Muse           |        William Wycherley, English dramatist.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |        Horner, in The Country Wife, act 1.