I have a perl_fu script that builds up an images with several layers and
then calls:

$img->script_fu_drop_shadow($textlayer,2,2,3,"black","80",0);

To do the drop shadow on the text.  It seems, however, that this
drop_shadow call runs in parallel with the rest of the script so if I try
to so a save call immediately after this, the save will not get the
shadow.  If I sleep for some period of time to allow the shadow function
to complete, it works fine.

Why is it behaving in this way and how can I change it?  The script is
actually going to be executed from the command line in response to a CGI
script, so sleeping a long period of time is not good.

Thanks
John