Okay, after looking through "Guerrilla Guide to Great
   Graphics with The GIMP", and "GIMP The Official Handbook",
   I haven't found a way to change a color to transparent.

        I scanned a decal sheet. The backing gave the clear
   areas of the decal film a greenish cast. I would like to
   change the greening to transparent, for obvious reasons.

        How do I do that?

                                                Thank you,
                                                        Bruce