It might just be a screwy script. Try running Gimp from the command line, with
gimp --verbose. Right before it crashes, it'll tell you which plug-in it's
trying to load. Remove the plugin from the plug-ins directory and try again.

There is no simple setting to disable script-fu, though you could probably
modify the configure script and Makefiles, completely excising anthing having
to do with script-fu. No telling how much mucking with the source you'd need
to do to get it to compile, though, and when it did compile, it'd be
*severely* limited.