My $0.02:

As of right now, your best option is to have the printer handle the
conversion. Give them a nice RGB TIFF; they shouldn't have any problem
converting it to CMYK. Your resulting image won't look quite as good coming
from RGB as it would from something that started as CMYK, because the color
spaces are a bit different, but generally it's not *that* big a deal.

The printer will probably charge a bit to do the conversion, but if they do
it, it'll definately work with their production equipment. It's likely to be
the simplest, most cost-effective way of getting the project done.

(That said, I have not created any book covers in the Gimp, but I *have* put
together a few with Quark and Photoshop. I find that Gimp is *wonderful* for
on-line stuff, and for automatic processing, but Photoshop is still needed
for CMYK (and Pantone, and Hexachrome) support. Hopefully, Gimp 2.0 will fix
some of this.)