Not a question this time, just something that might save someone half an hour or so.
Then again, I'm new to this so maybe it's old news :-)

Anyway, the doco says that to see a layer mask (rather than just its effect), you
should ALT-click on the layer mask thumbnail in the layers dialog. Under Linux/KDE and
Linux/GNOME, I found this had no effect (or rather, it seems the combination is used
by the window manager).

Answer: Use Shift-ALT instead, works fine.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                   +41-43-2660706 (h)                  +41- 1-6327531 (w)