To copy the visible parts of the image, use these pdb functions:

gimp_image_merge_visible_layers         # combine layers in original file
gimp_rect_select                                        # create a selection (in
original)
gimp_edit_copy                                  # copy original to clipboard
gimp_edit_paste                                 # paste it as a new floating layer

Exact parameters, and a bit of documentation, are in the PDB. (/Xtns/DB
Browser ...)

Note that if you just select, then copy, and then paste, Gimp will put the
floating layer in the center of the new document. Use the
gimp_layer_translate function to move it to where you want it to go. In
Python (not sure what the equivalent is in Scheme), I use this code to find
the physical dimensions of the stuff I want to copy, taking transparency into
consideration:

   pdb.gimp_selection_layer_alpha(originalFile.layers[0])
   empty, x1, y1, x2, y2 = pdb.gimp_selection_bounds(originalFile)

Then, using that, I'll calculate the top/right position :

   x = (x1 + x2 - originalFile.width) / 2
   y = (y1 + y2 - originalFile.width) / 2

   # Now, adjust for the position where the old image should be put into the
   # new image
   x = x + top          # top and left are values that I pass in
   y = y + left

   pdb.gimp_layer_translate(floatLayer, x, y)

Good luck!

--Joel