I asked ...

> > I want to erase the edges of a GIF or PNG [in GIMP] to make it look as
though it has
> > been torn out of a magazine.  I can erase to a white background around
> > edges but can't figure out how to make that transparent.  The reason
> > the 'background' must be transparent is that the graphic is to be
> > over another graphic but I can't get rid of that straight-edged white
> > square formed by the white 'background'.

... and Geoffrey replied ...

> image->alpha->add alpha channel
> Before you remove the edges.

Well, this works just fine and displays correctly.  But when I import the
PNG graphic into FrameMaker the areas supposedly erased to transparent are
restored.  (Still displays correctly in The Gimp.)  Is this just a
FrameMaker quirk?

Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor
MYOB Australia <>
P.O. box 371   Blackburn VIC 3130   Australia
12 Wesley Court   Tally Ho Business Park   East Burwood VIC 3151
Tel. +61 3 9222 9992 x 7421,   Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558

(C) MYOB Limited 2002