    Michael> Does anyone have a copy of this program I can have?  And
    Michael> do you know what scanners it supports that are currently
    Michael> available off the shelf?  Does anyone have any
    Michael> recommendations for off the shelf scanners (re: ones you
    Michael> can actually buy today at the local Best Buy or Frys)
    Michael> that work with SANE?

VueScan is here:

The cost is USD$40.  The interface is nice for some purposes, but for
most of my work, I find the command-line "scanimage" works just as
well.  Still, $40 is cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about
having bought it.

                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     76-15 113th Street, Apt 3B
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Forest Hills, NY 11375