this letter is waiting for moderator approval.  i thought a simple
forward would be best.

----- Forwarded message from Nathan Carl Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

From: Nathan Carl Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Gimp FAQ: Call for questions
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 13:06:01 -0800 (PST)

The gimp web team has desired that the current FAQ's be updated to reflect
the current 1.2.x reality for some time.  Unfortunately, it has not been
able to contact the FAQ maintainer, and the licence on the current FAQ's
do not allow for modifications.  If we are not able to contact Miles soon,
we will have to do a "clean room" reimplementation of the FAQ's from
scratch.  The results will be placed under the GNU Free Documentation
License.

We have decided to do this in two parts.  First, we will issue a Call for
Questions.  Please send in all questions you would like to have in the new
Gimp User FAQ to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and CC them to the lists for discussion.

Once the questions have been selected, I will arrange them and issue a
Call for Answers.  Please then send me a message stating your intent to
write an answer, and CC it to the lists so that no one else takes that
question.  If I do not recieve an answer within three days, I will open
that question up again.

Once all the questions are answered, I will send a final draft out for
comments.

Soon thereafter we will start with the Call for Questions for the
Developer FAQ.

I must reiterate that copying from the current GIMP FAQ's is simply not
acceptable.  Such submissions will be rejected.

If English is not your first language, don't feel that you can't take
part.  Any grammar mistakes will be lovingly corrected, so even if your
English is not perfect, you can still contribute significantly.

FAQ entries should be written with respect to 1.2.x, but should also
contain any significant changes in 1.3.x.  If you don't use 1.3.x, it is
not neccessary to mention differences in 1.3.x -- they will be added by
the GIMP web team.

Please do not assume that all readers of this document will be Linux users
-- we want to treat users of all supported operating systems equally, to
the extent that our limited resources are capible of supporting.

Here is a list of questions to start with:

1.  What is the GIMP?
2.  What does GIMP stand for?
3.  What features does it have?
3a. Does it support CMYK?  16-bit per channel images?  Floating-point
    channels?
4.  What are the minimum system requirements?
4a. What operating systems is it available for?
5.  Where can I get it?
5a. There are some binary versions on the GIMP website. Should I download
    them or build GIMP myself?
5b. Where can I get non-official gimp packages for foo?
6.  What version should I get?
7.  What documentation is available?
8.  Where can I find other GIMP stuff?
9.  Is GIMP a true GNU program?
10. What is the history of GIMP?
11. What is the relationship between GNOME and GIMP?
12. Easter eggs are fun. Does GIMP have any?
13. Does GIMP support digital cameras?
14. Does GIMP support scanners?
15. Does GIMP support Wacom tablets?
15a.How about other drawing tablets?
16. Is there a GIMP mailing list?
17. How about an IRC channel?
18. Ok, I'm trying to compile gimp, and this `./configure' program
    complains about missing or old libraries.  What gives?
18a.But I know I have the right version of libfoo!  Why can't configure
    find it?
19. How do layers work?
20. Channels?
21. Paths?
22. Selections?
23. How can I draw basic shapes (straight line, circle, square, etc.)?
24. How can I change the color I draw in?
25. How can I make what I have selected into a separate image?
26. How can I add what I have selected into a new image?
27. How can I make part of my image transparent?
28. How can I change keybindings?
29. How can I do gamma correction?
30. What are plug-ins?
31. Where can I find new plug-ins?
32a.How can I add them to my GIMP?
33. EEEK! I downloaded the latest version of gimp, and my favorite plug-in
    has dissappeared!
34. Are Photoshop Filters/Plugins supported?
35. What is Script-Fu?
36. Where can I learn more about it?
37. How can I call a plug-in in Script-Fu?  How about another script?
38. What in the world is a "Procedural Database Error?"
39. Is there a macro recorder that automagically creates Script-Fu scripts
    for me?
40. Can I add my own brushes?
41. Can I add my own patterns?
42. Can I give a copy of this gradient or palette I've created to a
    friend?
43. My fonts are ugly.
44. What font formats does GIMP support?
45. Where can I get more fonts?
46. The font that the GIMP uses for its menu text is nappy.  How can I
    change it?
47. What is this "XCF" file format?  Why should I use it?
48. What other formats does GIMP support?
49. I can't save my file as a GIF or TIFF.
50. I can't save my file as some other file format.
51. How can I add support for the foo file format to GIMP?
52. What languages does GIMP support?
53. Does GIMP support XInput?
54. Why doesn't text in my native language render correctly with the Text
    tool?
55. Does GIMP support bidirectional output?
56. How do I use batch mode?
57. Do I have to use an X server to run GIMP even in batch mode?
58. How can I call a Script-Fu script using batch mode?
59. How can I connect my web server to GIMP like flamingtext.com?
60. GIMP is slow.  How can I speed it up?
61. How can I see which bugs have been reported?
62. How can I report a bug I've found which hasn't been reported yet?
63. I get an error about "MIT-SHM" or "XShmAttach." (does this still
    happen?)
64. I'm using <pick os and distribution>.  What problems specific to it do
    you know about?
65. I'm using <pick X Server>.  What problems specific to it do you
    know about?
66. Who wrote GIMP?
67. Who has contributed to the FAQ?
68. Who wrote the included plug-ins?
69. Who wrote the Script-Fu scripts?
70. Who made the brushes and patterns included with the GIMP?
71. Who made the gradients and palettes incluced with the GIMP?
72. Who created the artwork?
73. Who is the GIMP FAQ team?
74. Who has contributed to the FAQ?

Rockwalrus