On Friday 07 February 2003 02:03, Shawn Lindsay wrote:
> What's a good processor for gimp?  I'm pricing a new computer.  I
> kind of have my eye on Intel's 3.06 P4 but am waiting for prices to
> drop.  What are some advantages of other processors?  Mostly what I
> want is quicker processing of some plugins, and being able to run
> other programs at the same time.  Almost anything will be better than
> my Celery, but I want something really good and not outrageously
> expensive.  What should I look for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shawn.

I do all right with an Athlon running at about 795 Mhz. Tiger Direct
will have deals on computers, cpu+motherboard etc. that will be much
faster than that.

The efficiency of your OS will also be a factor. I am running
Slackware Linux but I am looking at Gentoo Linux which has all kinds
of speed optimizations that are selectable depending on your chip.
When I find time I will get it running (installation is a bit of a
bear.)
--
John Culleton
TeX, the better layout program!