There are some VERY misleading statements on the web page referenced below
regarding the specific question originally posted by the potential GIMP user
in this thread.  That web page does say, incorrectly, that the GIMP only has
one resolution, and that is 72 dpi.  That may have been true at some point
in time, but that is most definitely NOT true in the version that I am using

First of all, that statement ONLY applies anyway when your monitor
resolution is 72 dpi.  My monitor resolution is 100 dpi (.25mm dot pitch,
1600x1200 on a 21" screen), which the GIMP supports directly, regardless of
my next point.

Secondly, there is a preferences item under Interface/Image Windows named
Use "Dot for Dot" by default.  With this option disabled (my normal usage),
images at different resolutions than screen resolution will still be
displayed at their normal size on the screen by default.

Finally, you can specify both resolution and size in the standard File->New
dialogue, as well as in the preferences options for new files.

I'd also like to bring up one very important GIMP advantage that I didn't
see mentioned at all in the Photoshop vs. GIMP comparison.  The GIMP can in
many cases handle LARGER images than Photoshop. Photoshop (ALL versions) is
limited to 32K pixels in any single dimension, whereas the GIMP is only
limited by available memory (potentially including virtual memory).  I
routinely process images with over .5G total pixels, and over 300K pixels on
one axis using the GIMP.  Photoshop cannot handle these images at all.  In
fact, I have found very few other applications that can.

It would sure be nice if someone could make note of these facts on the
subject web page.