On 03/30/03 02:01 Daniel Carrera spoke thusly

Hello,
This is more of a curiosity question.
When I was in elementary school I was taught that the primary colours were yellow, blue and red. I used those to create "secondary colours": green, orange, purple.

Today I know that the "primary colours" are red, green and blue since the human retina has 3 kinds of cones which detect precisely those colours. I also know that, when using paints, you use cyan, magneta and yellow because paint colours are subtractive and these are the complements of the primary colours:

cyan    = white - red
magneta = white - green
yellow  = white - blue

I would like to reconcile this, with what I was taught in school. My grade-school teaching got yellow right, and I can see that "cyan" could be taught as "blue" to a kid. But magneta doesn't look like red.

Did my grade-school teacher lie to me?

Magenta looks purple. "red" is easier to pronounce. :-)

Thanks,