I am able to select a tool and use it on the image. However I can not
deselect the tool. I close the dialog box but the tool icon is still in
the image. I can change to another tool but I still cannot close one so
that there is no icon in the image. The fuzzy select regions was
particularly annoying. I have read and reread the documentation but cannot
find the answer.

How do I get rid of the tool icon when done with it?

I am just starting to use GIMP. I have partially restored one black and
white photo so far. It looks like it will be a rewarding challenge

Thanks,