Hi,

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
Anyone on this list tried to install pre2? on redhat?

I run CVS GIMP on RedHat 8 with XD2.

I'm finding it stressful... would appreciate a well laid out howto....

You will need the following for a full install of the GIMP:

Required:
GTK+ 2.2.4 + devel packages (this will normally install a bunch of other requirements, which I won't go into)
libart_lgpl + devel package
libpng + devel package
libjpeg + devel package
fontconfig 2.2.1 + devel package
pango with XFT backend (this might not be included in pango by default) + devel

Reccommended: (mostly for plug-ins, all require devel packages too)
libtiff
libwmf
rsvg (required for SVG import, export curves to SVG, etc)
libexif
gtk-doc
gtkhtml
ghostscript
gimpprint 4.2.x

I think that's about it... All this stuff is documented (with URLs for packages) in the README file in the distribution.

Or you can install the rpm (http://www.gnome.org/~drc/gimp-rpms/), which will tell you what you need, and you won't need the devel packages at all.

How many days away is the final release?

Probably less than a month.

Cheers,
Dave.

--