On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:59:14AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Alex Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to install GLIB 2.4.1 on a redhat 9 system so that I can
> > install GIMP 2.0.1, but I'm not sure how to make the configure see the
> > 2.4.1 version as opposed to the 1.2.0 version that redhat
> > installed. Is there a way that I can install 2.4.1 over the older
> > version? If not, is there a way that I can tell the GIMP where the new
> > version is installed and have it use that? Thanks. :-)
>
> glib-1.2 and glib-2.x are two different libraries that can be
> installed side-by-side. Same for gtk+. However I strongly suggest that
> you use the binary packages that are available for your distribution
> and not attempt to install gtk+-2.x from source.

this is perfectly excellent advice unless you are like me, using a
distribution that is way over your head and it is giving you broken
pieces that gimp really needs.

the gimpenv script found on wgo answers the original question perfectly
well.

and building a working gtk2 for debian sid was better than getting it
from them, at the moment.  including tricking it with a local build of
glib.

carol