I have a problem in simply drawing a line in an existing .png-file...

I have loaded the file (a map of a village in .png-format), and I have been able to add two lines of text to it with the text-tool. This tool created two extra layers.

I also want to add some straight lines to the image with the 'sharp pencil'-tool, but I seem unable to do so. I select the tool , and the coursor shape appears correct in the drawing. But when I try to really draw a line by pressing the left button of my mouse, nothing happens (except the cursor disappearing while I press the mouse button). If I press the Shift-button while pressing the left mouse button, I see a line between the two points, as expected, but as soon as I releive the mouse button the line disappears.

I have added a special layer for it, but that doesn't help too. I've selected the whole image on the original layer, but also nothing. I tried several other thing, nothing.

When I make a completely new image, the sharp pencil <does> do what I expect from it.

I use Gimp 2.0, on SuSE Linux 9.0.

What do I do wrong?

Any help appreciated!

kind greetings, Jogchum Reitsma