The thing to remember is to use a grey gradient across the text/picture. Then
bump map that, then play with the levels. Make sure you have a fully black
and white blurred picture to use as a bumpmap. I've often gone wrong by just
blurring white text/shapes on a transparent background, which doesn't work
very well, if at all.

I use this effect quite a lot in my stuff. I'm no hacker or GIMP expert
either, but if you follow that tutorial on http://gug.sunsite.dk to the
letter then you should be fine.

Tom